Include in your initial message:
Whistleblower complaints should include a claim of waste, fraud, abuse or illegality by a United States government agency or official. Please answer the following questions:
- Please summarize the illegality or abuse that you have witnessed in the workplace in as few words as possible. Please include dates and details in chronological order if you can. Which agency, official or entity is responsible for the wrongful acts? What is your employment position and how did you learn of this matter?
- To whom have you disclosed this information, if anyone? Please describe the substance of your disclosure(s) so that we may fully understand the sequence of events up to this point.
- Has your knowledge or report of this situation caused any retaliation or adverse action against you by your employer? If so, please include as much detail as possible and all relevant dates.
- Are you currently involved in any legal or administrative proceedings? Please describe what actions are ongoing and reasons for your involvement. Whistleblower Aid is not a criminal defense firm, though we may still be able to help you by referring you to a more qualified attorney to handle your case.
- You do not need to provide your name in your initial message to Whistleblower Aid. However, if you do not provide your name in your first message, you will be required to provide your name at some point before you may become our client by signing a retainer agreement. It is impossible for Whistleblower Aid to provide legal advice or representation to anyone without first verifying their identity.
Sending your message
Precisely follow the detailed steps below to contact Whistleblower Aid. There is always risk in any online communication, but we feel comfortable recommending this method.
- Do NOT use a computer owned by the government or your employer. Bring your personal laptop to a Wi-Fi network that is NOT associated with you or your employer, like at a coffee shop in a different neighborhood.
Download and install the Tor Browser from torproject.org. Tor allows you to go online anonymously, concealing your IP address from the websites you visit.
SecureDrop uses a special kind of Onion URL that only works in Tor Browser. Do NOT type the following URL into a non-Tor Browser (like Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.). It won’t work — and it will create a digital record.
- To message us over SecureDrop, copy and paste this special URL into your Tor Browser: http://uwd57qermcote3au.onion
- You will find further instructions there.
Please read before sending us a message
Please note that any communication with Whistleblower Aid over Secure Drop and our websites does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Whistleblower Aid. If you have not signed a written, paper hard copy retainer agreement you received from Whistleblower Aid, then Whistleblower Aid does not represent you, and you are not Whistleblower Aid's client.
A final note about trust
Building trust can be difficult and we seek to build trust at every opportunity. It might not be comfortable sending large amounts of sensitive information to a new organization without knowing them. If you have details you are not comfortable sharing over this channel, please share as much as you are comfortable with. If we might be able to help you, then after we meet in person and build more trust, you can share more details later.